Health Check: Is It Safe To Cut Mold Off Food? cover

Health Check: Is It Safe To Cut Mold Off Food?

By


Some molds make and release poisons, called mycotoxins, into the food that could, over time, make you very sick. Why they do it is not especially well understood but that doesn’t make it any safer. So, should we just cut it off?


Rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars on 7 reviews

"Helpful!" 5 stars by




NoteStream NoteStream

NoteStreams are readable online but they’re even better in the free App!

The NoteStream™ app is for learning about things that interest you: from music to history, to classic literature or cocktails. NoteStreams are truly easy to read on your smartphone—so you can learn more about the world around you and start a fresh conversation.

For a list of all authors on NoteStream, click here.




Read the NoteStream below, or download the app and read it on the go!

Save to App


Health Check: Is It Safe To Cut Mold Off Food?

The Short Answer

The short answer is that it’s a lot safer than not cutting it off. Some moldy foods should simply be discarded (ideally, to compost).

For others, though, you can salvage and use the unaffected parts without exposing yourself to a health risk. That’s good if your moldy food is an expensive, vintage cheddar cheese! Molds are fungi. They’re related to mushrooms, and the yeasts we use to make bread, or convert sugars to alcohol. They are heterotrophs, meaning they can’t make their own food (unlike plants). Instead, they degrade complex organic molecules in their environment into smaller molecules they can absorb to meet their energy and nutrient needs.

Molded Cheese

Molded Cheese

©iStock.com

The Life of Molds

In nature, mold’s ability to break down detritus (waste) ensures that dead matter doesn’t accumulate.

It also enables the release of minerals that are chemically tied up in detritus to the plants that need them for their primary production. Molds are single-celled organisms and, individually, are microscopic. When water and nutrients are available (such as in semi-perishable foods) they grow in number: to procreate, mold cells simply make copies of all essential cell components, and then divide into two new (genetically identical) “daughter” cells.

Growing Danger

When molds divide the two cells stay connected and when they divide again and again, they form a long chain of cells, called a hypha.

The hyphae can branch and collectively form a complex matrix called a mycelium that, when big enough, can be seen with an unaided eye. This is the furry growth we can see, for example, on crumpets, berries, jam, tomato paste, cheese, and so on.

Moldy Bread Under a Microscope

Moldy Bread Under a Microscope

©iStock.com

Releasing a Problem

Not all molds on foods will produce mycotoxins, or produce them at harmful levels. The growing tips of the hyphae release enzymes into the environment to degrade complex organic molecules into usable nutrients.

The tips of the hyphae also release the mycotoxins, which are probably released to ward off competitors. So, wherever the mycelia go in search of nutrients, toxins may also be found. The extent of spread of the mycelium is not always visible, however, and herein lays the problem.

What to do?

Many molds can grow on, and spoil, our foods. Among those we are likely to encounter on foods in our homes are Penicillium (“cousins” of those used to make antibiotics, or to ripen some cheeses), Aspergillus, and on fruits, Botrytis.

You’re unlikely to experience any immediate symptoms from ingestion of mycotoxin-contaminated foods. Ongoing exposure increases the chances of a range of diseases including include kidney, liver and immune system damage, increased risk of a range of cancers and neurological symptoms; though these worst-case scenarios are rare.

Recycle Responsibly

Recycle Responsibly

Image by Liz Henry.

(CC BY-ND 2.0)

A Cautious Approach

Not all molds on foods will produce mycotoxins, or produce them at harmful levels, but without a microscope and laboratory its hard to distinguish the dangerous and harmless ones.

Given the risk to your health its best to take a very cautious approach to visible mold growth on any food with some exceptions. A good rule of thumb to judge whether a moldy food can be “saved” is its moisture content or firmness. Foods with a high moisture content such as cooked casseroles, soft fruit and vegetables, pastes/sauces and soft cheeses can have invisible hyphae growing below the surface and producing mycotoxins.

Time for Composting

The same is true for porous foods such as bread and cakes where the hyphae can penetrate. All of these foods should be discarded if you see mold on the surface.

Conversely cheddar, or a salami, or carrot, that have dense structure are less likely to have extensive hyphal growth away from the visible mycelium. In these cases the mycelium can be cut away (to a centimeter or two depth) and the remaining food consumed with little risk. The United States' Department of Agriculture’s website is a good source of advice for dealing with mold contamination on a wide variety of foods.